Ten Hill Place Hotel is owned by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and was opened in November 2006. All profits from the Hotel go back into training surgeons worldwide.
Caring for people is fundamental to what we’ve been doing since 1505, when the Royal College of Surgeons was first founded. Over the years, we’ve been pushing the boundaries of surgical care and medical excellence for the benefit of everyone, and that passion for precision and innovation is reflected in every highly polished corner of every room of our hotel.
Located in a historic part of the city mere moments from the centre of town, Ten Hill Place Hotel at Surgeons Quarter offers you an experience like no other. When you stay with us, every little thing is taken care of to ensure your stay is as relaxing as it is enjoyable.
There is one more excellent reason for choosing Surgeons Quarter. Our success helps fund the availability and development of surgical care around the world; helping you sleep soundly in more ways than one.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Precautions
We understand that the COVID-19 outbreak has left many guests feeling anxious about staying in a hotel. However, our parent company, The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, have provided us with expert clinical knowledge to ensure we create the most hygienic environment possible.
Safety measures include:
- All staff have been trained on new hygiene measures and creating a safe environment.
- Protective screens are in place at Reception.
- A one way system is in place.
- Hand sanitiser is available throughout the hotel, including in lifts.
- A UV key cleaning oven thoroughly sanitises all key cards between uses.
- Social distancing is being observed.
- Restaurant guests are being asked to leave their contact details as part of the Scottish Government's Test and Protect programme.
- Luggage cannot be handled or stored at any time. It can be transferred to the room by the guest on arrival, but cannot be accepted if the rooms are not ready.
- Face coverings should be worn when moving around the hotel, except within bedrooms or when seated in the bar/restaurant.
- The restaurant can currently accommodate a maximum of 6 guests from 2 households at one table at any one time.
- Should any guest develop symptoms whilst staying in the hotel, we would ask that they immediately self isolate in their room, contact NHS 24 for advice and ensure that the hotel manager is kept informed.
You can find more information on our safety measures here.
Green Tourism We are all increasingly mindful of the impact we have on the environment and the need to act responsibly. Ten Hill Place Hotel plays its part by participating in the Green Tourism Business Scheme, an initiative driven by Visit Scotland, Scotland's national tourism body. We are delighted to have held the Gold Award in Green Business Tourism since 2009.
Our most recent green adaptations include removing plastic water bottles from bedrooms and leaving Scottish wildflower seeds for guests to take away and plant, contributing positively to the ecosystem. We have also recently started our new Choose to Be Green scheme, where you can forgo housekeeping to save cleaning materials. In return, we will donate £5 per night to Bowel Cancer UK.
We encourage our guests to think green when they are staying with us, and to help us maintain our standards. Any green suggestions are always gratefully received.
Our Executive Chef, Alan Dickson, was awarded Chef of the Year for Scotland at the Scottish Hotel Awards in 2017. Then in 2018 Alan won the Regional Award for Chef of the Year, Edinburgh & Lothians, and our Restaurant won Informal Fine Dining Restaurant for Edinburgh & Lothians. In 2019, we did even better: 3 of our team all won People of Excellence Awards, while the Hotel received Regional Large Conference Hotel of the Year and Informal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year at the Edinburgh and Lothians Scottish Hotel Awards.
Bowel Cancer UK
Our charity partner of the year is Bowel Cancer UK. Together with our parent company, Surgeons Quarter, and The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, we are on a mission to raise £50,000 to help improve bowel cancer surgery and save lives right here in Scotland. As well as providing lots of opportunities for our guests to donate, several of our members of staff have taken on individual sponsored challenges. A simple hook and shelf in our bathrooms means they are "stoma friendly", making it a little easier for our guests with stoma bags.
Edinburgh Festival Theatre
Just around the corner hotel, we have the Festival Theatre which is home to the largest stage in Scotland, and one of the largest in the UK. The theatre has gained an international reputation as one of the leading dance houses in the world, hosting a cutting-edge contemporary dance season along-side large-scale musicals, international ballet productions and a variety of one-night musical events. Click Here to visit their website.