|Membership in Primary Dental Care|
|Saturday, 01 January 2011|
The Membership in Primary Dental Care (MPDC RCSEd) has been developed by the Specialty Advisory Board in Primary Dental Care and is specifically designed to assess the clinical skills and knowledge of a general dental practitioner who demonstrates excellence in all aspects of their work across a range of competencies.
The examination has been designed using modern assessment methodology and embraces the principles of life-long learning. It comprises three parts which are taken at the same time:
• Submission of four case presentations
• One written paper comprising 20 short answer questions
• A structured oral examination on the records of an unseen case and a discussion of two of the candidate’s treated cases.
It is envisaged that this will provide an eminently suitable route for general practitioners working within primary care who have already obtained MFDS or an equivalent post-Foundation Training qualification, but who now wish to emphasise the quality of patient care they provide. Attainment will also facilitate advanced career progression by conferring eligibility to pursue the Fellowship by Assessment after a further period of three years in clinical practice.
This Membership therefore provides an essential link in the progression of a practitioner in primary care who wishes either to demonstrate clinical excellence at membership level or have the opportunity to ultimately become a Fellow of the Faculty. The first diet is scheduled for autumn 2011 and full details are available at www.rcsed.ac.uk.
MPDC RCSEd: Key points
• Assessment of general dental practitioners who wish to demonstrate clinical excellence
• A Membership route for general dental practitioners
• Focuses on excellence in expertise within the clinical workplace
• An examination which encompasses aspects of modern clinical practice and applied knowledge
• A range of assessment tools in use to demonstrate competence at the level of Membership.
Clive J Gibson, Chairman, Specialty Advisory Board in Primary Dental Care
written by Dental Equipment Maintenance , March 13, 2012